31 December 2021

Pollock & Nougats

 

 

The memories I have of the Anderson Collection span nearly a decade and are many.  

As I wove through the galleries again this past November, the poignancy of a life dedicated to art-making reverberated from wall to wall--filling internal caverns with what only could be described as understanding and absolution.  I had been wracked with guilt for a long period, ignoring the pleas of my once feverish discipline to push ahead and continue with the work I was set to do.  Questions lingered: to where had my expression disappeared?  From what source had the overwhelming air of stagnancy come?  

While wrestling with these thoughts, I pressed upon myself to recognize life in its unadulterated form once more: the abstract, yet beautiful world of two- and three-dimensional bodies occupied by intention and meaning.  Revisiting works from Pollock, de Kooning, Diebenkorn, Jay Defeo, Wayne Thiebaud and Nathan Oliveira (among others) provided my noisy mind with a quiet parallel.  That afternoon, I ended up unpacking the past--one painting at a time, from one to another.  

-OH


No comments:

Post a Comment

add a comment . . .